Saturday, March 14, 2009

Love as Jesus loved (Week 3:5)

Topic: Week 3- Jesus as Lord
Theme for 6 Weeks- Who is Jesus and what difference does it make?

Read John 13:34-35; 15:12; Luke 6:32-26

I continue with this aspect of the Lordship of Jesus: imitation and discipleship. Imitate or mimic, the meaning of this word in Ephesians 5:1 and found throughout the New Testament. Discipleship: to follow after, to learn, to become a disciple/follower of Jesus.

“Just as” Jesus, “so” you and me. The center and essence of all of this is love. If we had to boil it all down to one thing it would be love. It is the first, and second, commandment, Jesus says (Matthew 22:37-38). To love is to fulfill the law (Romans 13:8).

This isn’t pulled out of the hat somewhere; we go to the words of Jesus. Jesus, who is Lord. He says it explicitly and it is implied throughout his life and teachings: how he lived and what he taught his followers.

Here’s the explicit call to us who choose to be his followers, the “just as…so you” language. “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have you, you also should love one another.” (John 13:34) God has come down to humanity, become one of us; God Incarnate: Jesus. And, he has shown us, in flesh and blood, what God is like. God’s will for the world. What brings life, freedom and joy. Love is at the core.

It’s unconditional love. Indiscriminate love. We aren’t asked to love with conditions or to choose just to love only those who love us; it is even our enemies we are called to love (Luke 6:32-36). That’s how God loved us. That’s how Jesus loved us: when we were enemies.

Tough! How that gets worked out in specific situations is part of our life-long discernment and a dependence upon the very power of the risen Christ in us.

Question: Where, in my life, is the most pressing situation to follow Jesus in his call to me: “just as I have loved you, so you love…?”

Prayer: My Lord Jesus, our Lord Jesus; teach me more how to love as you loved me. And, I know how you loved me: even when I was an enemy and apart from you. With that power of your love, may I love those you have put in my path. In your name, Amen.

No comments: