Thursday, March 19, 2009

At the heart of it: love (Week 4:4)

Topic: Week 4- Jesus and the kingdom of God
Theme for 6 Weeks- Who is Jesus and what difference does it make?

Read 1 John 3:16; Luke 6:27-36

There’s a good chance you’ve seen this on a plaque, framed picture, or wedding gift: “…and the greatest of these is love- 1 Corinthians 13:13.” It likely conjures up some warm, positive feelings. Usually tame, mild and maybe a bit syrupy.

It’s not that this isn’t true. In fact, love is central. But, love is sometimes very difficult, even if it is the “greatest,” and we may lose sight of the foundation for this love that is talked about in this letter.

“Who is Jesus?” That’s the question that we’re just scratching the surface with for these six weeks. And, one response is this: not only is the main focus of Jesus’ teachings the kingdom of God but he himself embodies the kingdom of God!

The heart of this kingdom of God, and Jesus himself, is love. But, not just any love. It is love that we see demonstrated on the cross by Jesus, and that love was demonstrated by him throughout his life- the way of the cross. Loving outsiders and outcasts, forgiving those who put him on a cross, loving enemies, and loving those who denied him.

And, it doesn’t just end with Jesus; here is where it is not just a simple reference framed in a picture or on wedding wrapping paper. We are called to this type of love- this “Calvary love”- in our lives as well. Greg Boyd says it this way,

“The love we are called to trust and emulate is supremely manifested in the cross of Jesus. The cross is the ultimate symbol of the kingdom of God, for it defines what the kingdom always looks like. It looks like Christ- self-sacrificial and loving. It looks like grace.” (p. 34, The Myth of a Christian Nation)

There’s that “upside-down kingdom” again. It was this love, in God among us in his Son, Jesus, that has defeated Satan and evil on the cross. This is the power that has overcome and transforms: Jesus on the cross. It has changed our lives.

This love is what we are called to as well, as Jesus tells us. It is that which has power to transform, heal, restore relationships, and break down walls. And, it comes from the power of Christ living within us.

Question: What situations and relationships might be impacted if I pray for this love of Jesus to be made more real in my life?

Prayer: “Lord, I know this is the way of life, freedom and joy- living out your love. I also know this is hard and I need your power and presence within me. Help me to follow you and your call: to love my enemies, to do good to those who hate me, to bless those who curse me, and to pray for those who abuse me. Show me who I am to love today. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.”

No comments: