Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jesus saves (Tuesday)

Topic: Week 2- Jesus as Savior
Theme for 6 Weeks- Who is Jesus and what difference does it make?

Read 1 John 4:14

“Saved.” That tag can still trip me up in my mind. I can recall the time, when I was 12 years old, when I said to myself, “I want to be saved.” It carried significance for me at that point in my life.

While this stage of my life was real with respect to faith, questions started to roll in over time: was this just a one-time event? Is it a private experience? What’s the practical experience of being “saved?” How does this relate to living my faith?

It began to have a static feel to it. And, as I heard many other Christians talk about it, it began to feel even more flat. Pointing to some event on such and such a day.

But, then…the meaning of “saved” changed. Part of it was a deeper understanding for me of what salvation was/is/will be after reading Scripture over time and having others open up some new meaning for me. Part of it was life experience- what I was learning about myself, the world; learning from failures and disappointments.

So, sometimes when I hear “saved” in a religious context, it still feels flat. But, for me, it is a positive, even necessary, thing in my life: Jesus saves; I can’t save myself. More later…

Question: What does this mean- “that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior?” What does “Jesus saves” include for you…even this day?

Prayer: Our Father, in heaven, hallowed be your name. I cannot save myself, so my trust and dependence is upon you. Thank you. Thank you for coming to us, for sending your Son, to be the Savior of the world. May I live in that awareness today. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments: