Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yard sign during the election

I'm squeamish when talking about politics and the church since I have witnessed its abuse over and over again. I was hesitant to put a sign in the yard for a presidential candidate as I didn't want this to be perceived as a pastor indicating that this is "the" way one should vote.

But, it felt different this year, and for the first time in my life as a pastor, our church community had a discussion about the election- should one vote as a follower of Jesus? If so, what should be the values that help guide that decision? So, we put a sign in a yard. And even though it may appear trivial, I didn't want to say in this setting whose name was on that sign until after the election.

When I had finished mowing my yard in mid-October, and I was sweeping off the driveway, my neighbor across the street hollered, "I like your yard. I mean, I really like your yard since the yard sign went up." (pointing to the Obama/Biden sign) "Oh, yeah?" I said. I started meandering across the street to his driveway where he was shooting some hoops.

He is about 23 years old, working on his MBA and living at home temporarily. This was going to be his 2nd presidential election in which he would vote. I'm 53 and this was to be my 9th. "You like it, huh?" He begins to tell me that this is how he is leaning but he hasn't made the final decision yet.

And what he said next is why I mention who I voted for. He said, "I'm surprised, though, with your sign. You're a pastor in one of those evangelical churches, right? [It would be too complex to get into some theological discussion of where I fit, so I just said, "Yeah, sort of."] "Well, I thought all of you pastors vote for the more conservative, Republican candidates, especially because of their view on abortion. So, why are you voting for Obama?"

We had a great, short discussion. I was able to say that when I vote, I take into consideration a list of values, growing out of my faith in Christ, that includes abortion, as well as, policies and positions related to poverty, education for children in poor communities, issues related to justice for the poor, minority populations, and others, gender issues, war, death penalty, etc., etc. This was the first time he heard those issues from a pastor. I asked him what issues were important to him and it was a wonderful exchange.

I'm not here to advocate that this was the "right" candidate. But, I am happy for a growing group of those in the evangelical community who are saying there are many more issues than just abortion that should matter to us.

Not only am I opposed to the concept that if you are a committed follower of Jesus you will vote for this candidate (fill in the blank). But, I also do not place my greatest hope in the ballot vote for a candidate; I believe a much greater impact is found when a community of those who follow Jesus embody his life in them, living it out in their context. So, I'm with a growing group of voices like Greg Boyd and Shane Claiborne who point to this reality.

So, in four years, maybe I'll vote, maybe not. Maybe I'll put a candidate's sign in my yard, maybe not. But, I do hope our church will be growing, day by day, in what it means to be the church, a church incarnate embodying hope, forgiveness, justice, equity, courage, compassion, grace, loving one another and enemies, and living in the way of Jesus.

That's my most significant vote.

No comments: