Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I was riding my bike, minding my own business…

I had my next post almost written in my head, and then I went on a bike ride…

Then a new idea popped up on the ride. It had to do with peace and war, and a guy driving a pick-up truck that was being totally ridiculous. Those who know me understand how much I love biking. Road biking in the Denver area. It’s a gorgeous early evening, perfect weather and I hopped on my bike for an hour ride.

The sky is turning colors as the sun is going down- blue, pink and blistering orange. My heart rate is up because I’m getting a decent workout, but my “heart” is at peace because I’m relaxed and loving the ride! We all have things that renew and bring life, clearing the mind and soul. Biking is one of those things for me.

The ride is great until… this huge, apparently new black pick-up starts to veer to the right in my direction. Toward the bike lane. The well-marked bike lane on the right. I had ridden along the Cherry Creek Reservoir and then went outside the park on some roads next to the park to vary my ride.

This was late in the afternoon/early evening and there was a long line of traffic waiting for the red light. I’m cruising on the bike path, with other bikers that day, and approach the light. “Why is that truck starting to head toward the bike path, off the road??,” I wondered. As I got closer, it was obvious he was trying to nudge me off the road. I slowed down and he kept inching over into the bike lane. I could see him looking my way in the rear view mirror.

Instead of an absent-minded driver, here was a guy intentionally moving into the bike lane when he sees this bike ready to pass him in the bike lane. What’s the deal?! Actually, a few other words went through my mind, muttering them under my breath, but I can’t put them down here!

As I barely made it past him, almost getting knocked off the path, my thoughts go down this path: Ok, so you don’t bike or jog or whatever and you’re ticked off when you see persons working out….You’d probably have a gun rack in your rear window if it was legal in the city…Then some other prejudiced thoughts leaked out.

I’ll never know what was going through his head: it might be some stupid insecurity, or he’s frustrated at a long line at the traffic light, or he had a bad day at work. Who knows. Whatever it was, he was still being nasty for whatever reason. And, I was upset. Angry.

Now here’s the good thing about biking for me: in the grandeur of creation, with blood pumping into my body, God seems to speak to me quite often. (Not that “speaking” of an audible voice but with nudges and thoughts.) And, it happened that day.

Like this…What are you thinking, Phil? Are you going to turn this into hate for your “truck-enemy?” Ok, so he’s being a jerk- for whatever reason; but hate won’t win. Further, if you can’t work at the love-the-enemy-thing for the dude in the black truck, how are we going to work at communicating this Kingdom message to broader and more perilous situations of violence and war?

Busted! Alright; I get it! So, after I had some time to reflect a bit, and when he finally got through the red light and passed me, I reluctantly prayed for him. There wasn’t a gush of warm, fuzzy feelings. But, I prayed for the guy, and it was a start to diffusing of the anger.

A lesson on praying for and loving our enemies, as Jesus calls us to do. Now, I don’t suggest that there is a direct parallel to this situation and the decision to dropping horrific bombs and killing thousands of people. I believe issues of violence and war are areas for the church to address, live out and be prophetic for the sake of the good news. However, I was reminded of how all of this must start from within- having our heart continue to be transformed into the likeness of Jesus- this Jesus who has called us to these very things.

Peace (shalom= wholeness, well-being, peace) is not just peace within or peace in one’s heart. But, it is hard to display the outer forms and actions of non-violence and peace without the inner work of peace.

I don’t always succeed in this; I’m still a work in process of being transformed into the likeness of Christ. But, this also was a result: by God getting it through my thick head, and heart, that I should pray for that guy, I was released from a spirit of retaliation and the rest of the bike ride was great!

Want to guess how the rest of the bike ride would have gone if I held onto the resentment, listing the reasons in my head this guy is crazy??

(Next: a follow up to my presidential candidate’s sign in our yard.)

No comments: