Thursday, February 26, 2009

Living with questions and Jesus as God Incarnate

Theme: Week 1- Jesus as God Incarnate
Theme for 6 Weeks- Who is Jesus and what difference does it make?

Read Colossians 1:15-17
John 1:14

For the past five years, I have been one of the guest speakers in a social studies class at a local high school. The teacher invites a variety of pastors and religious leaders, over the course of several weeks, to speak on what our faith/religion says on a number of issues. I’m the token Mennonite! It’s fun. The kids ask great questions. I love it!

The initial questions go like this: how we define “soul,” when we believe human life begins, and if we believe Genesis 1is to be taken literally as the account of creation. (You can see the implications of where this will lead with questions and discussion.) The last time I was there, I was paired with a pastor of a conservative, Christian church and he had very definitive answers on each question. Our approach to answering the questions was quite different.

In part, this is why: I live with a chunk of unanswered questions. I find more complexity in what comes our way in life. I used to think “old” people stopped asking questions and simply had answers. Increasingly, I know that is not true.

Yet, here is a paradox: in the midst of the questions and complexities of issues we face in life, I find a growing conviction about core beliefs in Christianity. (I realize using “Christianity” stands on shaky ground because of all that is associated with it in our time.) What these core beliefs are is open for debate; but, I am referring to those strands that can be traced throughout orthodox Christianity.

One such area is that of God becoming human in Jesus. The one in whom “all things hold together” (Colossians 1) has taken on flesh in Jesus of Nazareth (John 1). This is of importance in a number of ways, some of which we’ll consider in the next several weeks.

But, here is the issue I would raise today: to live with questions, and even the puzzle of how we might view truth that can be found in other faiths, does not detract from the conviction, belief and commitment to base my life upon the truth of Jesus as God Incarnate (taking on flesh). Leonard Sweet speaks to our context, “Postmodern Christians, who acknowledge the various degrees of truth, will protect the rights and rituals of people of other faiths, while at the same time presenting Jesus as God Incarnate.” (p.384, Soul Tsunami)

Holding these together, conviction and questions, will impact the way in which we relate to others. It will include humility, passion and gentleness.

Question: How can I embrace the particularity of God becoming flesh in Jesus, and not have a spirit of arrogance or judgmentalism?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, as I embrace the fact that you became flesh and blood and “moved into the neighborhood,” allow me to see that my ongoing questions confirm the limits of my humanity and what I can know. And, allow me to see, more and more, why you chose to become one of us. In your name I pray. Amen

No comments: