Thursday, April 16, 2009

The fall of "Christian" America??

The idea that we are in a post-Christian America or that the religious landscape has changed dramatically in America is not a new notion. It has been bantered about for quite some time. A recent article in Newsweek (cover story) by Jon Meacham, "The Decline and Fall of Christian America," has prompted reaction from various circles.

I want to say more about this in a future post(s), but I'll add this note for now:

I'm not alarmed. In fact, it could be a good thing to acknowledge: America is not a Christian nation.

It's important to distinguish "civil religion" (of any country- those values, stories, mores, etc. that link people together from a variety of faith traditions) and the "kingdom of God" (for followers of Jesus, this is our priority).

The church (followers of Jesus) was on the margins of society following Jesus and continued in that form for the first 300 years...and it had a powerful impact on society and grew tremendously.

A lot of fear will get tossed around in Christian circles with this idea ("what is happening to our nation??!!"). I do not live with fear regarding this. My goals, or the purpose for the church of which I help to lead (The Bridge), do not change.

Carry on.

(More later)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phil, someone told me to look you up at Q this past week. If you're open to it, I'd enjoy connecting, if you have some time. I'm in Denver this week from Friday (may 8) through next thursday.